Thursday, May 21, 2009

We're in!

We received a call yesterday to inform us that we have been accepted into the Ethiopa adoption program! Let the paperwork begin!
I've debated on whether or not I want to write on the adoption blog that Duane set up and has done such a great job with www.oneprayerlater.blogspot.com . I think I've decided to let him go with it, as he is a much more eloquent communicator and I would feel like I was messing it up :)! Plus I think it could be confusing, so I will let that be his thoughts and I will continue to share some of my thoughts on this blog.
I've been wanting to share some of the scriptures that played a part in our conviction that our family was being called to this. This is not intended to be "preachy", but just a glimpse into how God prepared our hearts for this journey.
Ephesians 1:3-5
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what He wanted to do and it gave him great pleasure.
Deuteronomy 24: 17-18
True justice must be given to foreigners living among you and to orphans...Always remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God redeemed you from your slavery.
Psalm 10:14
The helpless put their trust in You. You defend the orphans.
Psalm 68:5
Father to the fatherless, defender of widows - this is God
Psalm 82:3-4
Give justice to the poor and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute. Rescue the poor and helpless.
Isaiah 1:17
Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of the orphan. Fight for the rights of widows.
Hosea 14:3
In You alone do orphans find mercy.
Psalm 140:12
He will give justice to the poor.
James 1:27
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
Amos 5:21-24
I hate all your show and pretense - the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies. I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings. I won't even notice all your peace offerings. Away with your noisy hymns of praise. I will not listen to the music of your harps. Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice and and endless river of righteous living.
Proverbs 24:12
Don't excuse yourself by saying "Look, we didn't know." For God understands all hearts, and he sees you. He who guards your soul knows you know.
I don't share these verses as if to imply that I have managed to embrace all these things and put them into practice in my life. I'm overwhelmed by how far I am from having pure and genuine religion. But right now I'm faced with the reality that He knows I know. I know that there are 147 million orphans in the world. I know He has called me to defend them and to rescue them. I know I'm going to have to do so much more than take one of them into my family to love forever. But it's a start. And I'm excited to be starting.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Woohoo congrats! So exciting! Love you!

Unknown said...

Bless you sweet people of God. You have heard His message and you embrase it. This will be life Changing for all involved. Congratulations. This child will truly be loved and cared for. What can I do to help?