Thursday, December 30, 2010

My New Years Absolution



absolution
 
 (ˌæbsəˈluːʃən)
— n
1.the act of absolving or the state of being absolved; release from guilt, obligation, or punishment.

Every year at this time I begin thinking about what my New Years Resolutions will be.  And of course I write them down.  Otherwise I might forget them and not actually accomplish them... insert sarcastic laughter here.    And strangely enough, they are always the same.  The list usually includes a lot of unrealistic goals about the way I will eat, how much I will exercise, how early I will get up every morning so I can be super productive, how I will transform my prayer and study life, how I am going to be more organized than ever with household chores and homeschooling, and the list goes on and on...and on.  Just typing about it is slightly exhausting.  Needless to say, this is a BIG. FAT. waste of time.  That's why this year I am resolved to have only one resolution.... to daily celebrate my absolution.  

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate new beginnings as much as the next gal.  But God is showing me that one of the awesome things about being a Christ follower is that every day is a new beginning.  Every moment even.   December 31st or January 1st, it doesn't matter, for his compassions never fail - they are new every morning!  Praise Him that Lamentations doesn't say his compassions are new every year!

2010 seemed to end on an especially frantic note for me.  I will spare you the boring details, but there were times when I was pretty sure I would drown.  As I struggled to keep my head above water, I became convicted that something had to change.  The constant striving and the never arriving... it just became too much for this simple girl.  And it is not what my Father has asked of me.  In fact, it gets in the way of
the thing he has asked of me - to love.  That's why this guilt driven mama has finally decided to accept this precious gift of absolution.  I know it will not be easy, but in 2011 I plan to operate under the truth that I am released from guilt - let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water ~ Hebrew 10:22.  I am released from obligation - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast - Ephesians 2:8-9.   And finally, I am released from punishment - Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus - Romans 8:1.  And that, my friends, is the good news that I am resolved to carry into 2011.

Do I still hope to make good decisions about how I spend my time, how I treat my body, how I teach and love my kids, how I worship my Father, etc...  next year? Absolutely!  But my fervent hope and prayer is that as my Father begins to wrap my heart in these truths, 2011 will be the year I stop being driven by guilt and obligation.  My prayer is that 2011 will be the year I begin being driven by love, gratitude, and the truth of absolution that comes by walking daily with a risen Savior.  


1 comment:

Sarah Ezell said...

Sounds like a plan sister :)