Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Radiant Bride

I'm not generally a nostalgic person.  This is most likely because I have a horrible memory.  I'm not the type to memorize lines from old movies.  And if you ask me what year some big event in the world  happened.... well, just don't bother.  I don't typically save things because I know I won't remember why I saved them.  I even have a hard time keeping my own children's birthdays straight.  But January 12, 2008 is a day that I'm confident I will never, ever forget.  It is seared on my mind and heart.  On that day my dear friend, Evette, left this broken world to go dance with Jesus.  I will never, ever forget the exact spot where I was standing, by the window in my bedroom, when I heard the news.  I will never, ever forget the feeling of a crushing weight I was sure I could not bear being dropped on my heart.  In that moment breathing was hard work, standing was impossible, and understanding was out of the question.  She was 33 - my current age.  She was beautiful and full of love and she was more than my friend. She was my big sister.  She was my cheerleader.  She was my dirt bike driver and my macaroni maker.  She was quirky and complicated and funny and passionate.  But most of all, she loved.  And to this day, she challenges me to do the same. 

I love this photo of her!  I just love thinking that this is the way she appeared before Christ on the day he called her to be with him - his radiant bride!
 

I love thinking about the way he looked at her, and her at him.  That expectant look of a groom waiting to see his bride.  Is there anything like it? 

...as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you. - Isaiah 62:5

And I wonder if she could send me one message from heaven, would it be just that?  Would she remind me that even in my life, I too am the bride of Christ?  Would she whisper to me, "Jenny, your God rejoices over you!  Just remember that!  When you look in the mirror and don't like what you see...remember who is rejoicing over you!  And when the feelings of inadequacy as a mother and wife start creeping in....remember He is rejoicing over you!  When fear and guilt rear their ugly heads...remember!  Never, ever forget that our Father is rejoicing over you!"  If she could say just one thing? 

I can't help but feel her answering, "Yes!" 

Any day now we will receive a phone call and a photo of a precious baby girl in Ethiopia. Finally we will be able to put a face to the now commonly uttered name, Selah Evette.  We have prayed for her and sacrificed for her and waited for her and named her.  Named her after someone we will never, ever forget.  I can't wait to tell her about my friend.  About the way she loved.  I can't wait to tell her that her God rejoices over her!  That she and I.... we are his Radiant Brides!



2 comments:

Jason Allison said...

Among one of the most amazing things too is that this picture of evette in her wedding dress was taken....10 years after the wedding. How many gals can pull that off? radiant indeed!

Ashley said...

Thanks Jenny for writing this, You are a great writer.