Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Healthy Alternatives

Ok, I'm aware that the only reason people look at my blog is to see pictures of my admittedly precious children, but please just humor me. I've been thinking that surely I have something more to share with all 7 of my blog readers. So, I'm going to try from time to time to post about some other things. Today it's food, as it could often be since life somehow seems to revolve around it. After a nutritious lunch at America's favorite drive-in, Sonic, I find myself thinking about healthy foods :). Over the past couple of years I have really tried to transform our pantry to be a little healthier. Specifically I've tried to cut out the trans fats and high fructose corn syrups, switch to more whole grain breads and pastas, and buy organic when I can. With picky eaters (Duane and Noah), and sugar lovers (me) it's been a challenge, but I've managed to make some progress. While the best thing is obviously to eat LESS processed foods and more fruits and veggies, we still like to have snacks and crackers, etc. I just wanted to share some of my finds on good substitutes for old favorites, b/c sometimes it's a matter of trial and error to find things that are healthier and actually taste good too. Yes they are more expensive than their less healthy counterparts, but I've just decided that I'll be willing to sacrifice in other areas to feed my family a little healthier. Here's the list!

Late July Saltines
Late July Butter Rounds (like Ritz)
Back to Nature Classic Creme Cookies (Oreos)
Back to Nature Peanut Butter Cookies
Back to Nature Honey Graham Sticks
Annies Bunnies (like Goldfish)
Back to Nature Crispy Wheats (like wheat thins)
Back to Nature Crispy Cheddars (like cheese-its)
Cascadian Farms Chocolate chip granola bars (also have vanilla and peanut butter chip)
Cascadian Farms granola
Bear Naked granolas
Cascadian Farms frozen veggies
Horizon yogurt sticks (like gogurts)
yo baby yogurt
oh soy yogurt
Bob's Red Mill buttermilk pancake mix
For sweet tea I use turbinado sugar instead of white sugar.
We use pure maple syrup instead of Aunt Jemima :)
Kroger has lots of great organics called private selections organics. we like the:
waffles
pasta
pasta sauce
frozen fruits
peanut butter
potato chips
cereals
oatmeal
milk
Rice a Roni and Pasta Roni have a line called Nature's Way that's really good.
Annie's Mac and Cheese (like easy mac)
Earths Best vanilla cookies and cereal bars
Orville Redenbacher natural microwave popcorn
Frito Lays Natural Potato Chips (cheetos and doritos are our faves)
Morningstar Farms veggie corn dogs and hot dogs

ok, i know there's more but i've bored you long enough. let me know if there are things i've yet to discover and need to try!

i promise to include pictures in my next post!

2 comments:

Jamie :) said...

Funny you posted this because Chris and I were talking about this the other day but not sure if these food would even taste good. Glad to know they do!! Just printed out your list and I am going to look for some of these at the store! Thanks! Cute pictures too, by the way!!

Holly said...

My new favorite snacks are from True North. They are all natural, no preservatives, added colors, added flavors, etc. The Peanut Crunches and Pecan Almond Peanut Clusters are sweet and yummy. The Almond Crisps are the best cracker I have ever had. I think you can get them at Walmart and Kroger. The Arrowhead Mills organic pastry flour I get at Good Shepherd is great for baking.