Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Just an update... and a thought.

Here's just a little update on Team Dixon :).  

1.  In September, we committed to move forward in the process of potentially moving to Ndola, Zambia to work for Wiphan.  There are still meetings to be had and details to be worked out, but we are very excited about the possibility of working with widows and orphans in Ndola!

2.  This little boy turned 7!  He got a bow and arrow for his birthday :).

3.  This not so little boy turned 12.  *Sigh*  WHERE has the time gone?


This silly little boy turned 40.  We had a very silly celebration.  


This little beauty turned 5!  She had a celebration with her siblings and her Nana.


Mommy and Daddy haven't been able to celebrate with her yet, because... THIS momma (who also had a recent birthday but reserves the right as the blog author to not publish her new age) had to unexpectedly have back surgery on her little girl's birthday :(.  I've had problems with my back on and off for about 12 years, but a couple of weeks ago the pain moved from my back to my leg and rendered me useless.  About a week after the pain in my leg started I found myself on the operating table so that the surgeon could remove the fragments of a "severely ruptured disk".   I am now at home recovering.  I can rest and I can walk.  And I can blog.  The doctor didn't say that, but I think it was inferred.  In the aftermath of the pain and the surgery, I find myself in a season of extreme gratitude.  I'm extremely grateful for a husband who takes on the work of 2 parents for weeks with a smile on his face.  I'm so thankful for our friends who, by the time all is said and done, will have delivered 16+ dinners to our family.  I'm thankful for a mom who will drop everything and come bearing gifts to salvage a sweet girl's birthday and stay with children while their mom is in the hospital. I'm thankful for a surgeon who studied hard and had the discipline to learn how to fix me.  I'm thankful for a God who heals and equips and revives.  

And while I'm grateful for all of these things and more, I'm also, once again, painfully aware that my circumstances are so different from those of SO many.  As I laid in my bed, feeling immediate relief from the surgery that I was able to receive without even a thought of how much it would cost within a week of my problem surfacing, I couldn't help but think about millions of women all over this world who probably do or will suffer with similar or worse ailments and have no access to MRIs and pain medications and brilliant surgeons in sterile hospitals.  These women who likely have to work through the pain just so they can secure enough food and water for their children to survive.  I thought and thought about it.  And of course, as usual, I asked the same question I've asked a hundred times.  Why me? Why were they born under those circumstances and why was I born here?  Why do they suffer when I have relief?  

I don't know the answer to that question that I'm sure many of us have asked from time to time.  But I do know that as I laid there thinking about it I had a renewed gratitude and appreciation for the organizations and individuals that are working very hard to help women all over the world.  I thought about my friend Steffany who works with BEMM (Because every mother matters).  And I thought about our friends at EHE (Embracing Hope Ethiopia).  And I thought about Wiphan and how I might have a chance to participate first hand in God's redeeming work in the lives of women in Zambia.  And really I just thought about the fact that it would be shameful for me to take it for granted that I had experienced the miracle of healing.  I know some wouldn't consider it a miracle since it came through surgery.  But it really is a miracle that a man could cut through my back and remove pieces of it, sew me back up and send me home the next day feeling better than when I walked into his office. God equips.  And it would be shameful for me to not do what I can to see that other women can experience healing as well.  God equips.  He's equipped me, and us, with so much.  With so many opportunities to distribute his blessings and his healing.  That's what I've been thinking about as I rest.  And walk.  And rest.  And walk.  And thank Him from whom ALL blessings flow.  

No comments: